A friend has challenged me to prove that Donald Trump will govern as a conservative. I have taken this challenge to highlight some key points; but first, I must admit that I originally supported Ted Cruz for president due to some concerns I had on some positions Trump had taken prior to his declared candidacy for president. Now, it is difficult to comprise a list prior to the man becoming president; but looking at his agenda and those people he has selected, I can make a good argument on his behalf.
- Pence – Trump had to gain confidence with conservatives and his number one pick was to bring in Governor Mike Pence as his running mate. Pence was also a Cruz supporter; but has taken control and may become one of the most influential vice presidents ever.
- Supreme Court – Trump was not shy about the type of justices he would nominate to the US Supreme Court. With Justice Antonin Scalia’s passing, the direction of the court weighed on the next president. Trump has comprised a list of 21 conservative justices who would carry the torch of representing the US Constitution for years to come.
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions – A staunch conservative who will fight against corruption in a non-partisan way.
- Ben Carson – Sec of Housing and Urban Development. This man came out of the ghetto of Detroit to become one of the most successful individuals in American history. A Christian conservative who believes in working hard to become all you can be.
- Tom Price – Sec of Health and Human Services. He has been the biggest critic of Obamacare and as a physician; he will lay the groundwork for the repeal.
- Betsy DeVos – Sec of Education – She has been a supporter of state rights for Education and providing competition for education through Charter Schools and voucher programs for those in areas of struggling schools.
- Homeland protection – With Generals John Kelly (Homeland Security), Michael Flynn (National Security Advisor) and James Mattis (Sec of Defense), I can not think of a great list of advisors in the ear of Trump to keep America safe.
- Scott Pruit – Sec of EPA – There is no one better to run the EPA than the man who is suing the EPA. This is my most ironic pick. He will move to get rid of so many regulations that are hurting our country.
- Rick Perry – Sec of Energy. Perry has actually called for the elimination of the Energy Dept. This dept should actually be the Dept of non-Energy. They do not create energy but only place regulations to limit energy.
- Mick Mulvaney – Office of Management and Budget. This Tea Party supporter who supports the conservative House Freedom Caucus and led the effort to force out House Speaker John Boehner. Trump said, “Mulvaney has long been a strong voice in Congress for reining in out-of-control spending, fighting government waste and enacting tax policies that will allow working Americans to thrive.”
- Stephen Bannon – Chief Strategist. A man that I had the pleasure of speaking to in the past. The strategist and campaign manager behind Trump winning. A conservative businessman, media executive, navy officer, and banker. He has connections and his news corporation of Breitbart News provided conservatives with the actual truth away from the liberal media.
- A hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health).
- A requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated.
- A 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service and a ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government with a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
- Renegotiate NAFTA with our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
- Begin vital energy infrastructure projects like the Keystone Pipeline.
- Cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama.
- Cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities
- Begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won’t take them back
- Suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.
- Reduction in Taxes.
- Create a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.
- Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment.
- Provide our veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice.
This is by no means everything. I did not mention the wall, which Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan is against. Trump will not only need to fight Democrats, he will need to fight those in his own party. Trump most likely will not be able to get everything done; but if he were to get 80% done, I will be happy as a conservative. There are many people in his ear; but I like most of those he has put within shouting distance to keep him focused on a conservative agenda.
Frank Aquila is president of the South San Joaquin Republicans and author of the book, “Sarah Palin Out of Nowhere.” He can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org